YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday 30 March 2016

Boomerang!

Rushing my way into Bombay Bazaar, I searched for the renowned gown shop I totally forgot the name of. There were two more days for my sister’s son’s wedding, and I still hadn’t purchased my attire.

“I’m an awful aunt, I’m an awful aunt, I’m awful aunt” I told myself repeatedly. I stopped hunting and caught an auto rickshaw that drove me to the nearest bridal wear showroom. Standing right behind the glass, I saw a mannequin wearing the most beautiful dress I’ve ever seen. It was a turquoise lehanga that featured a hot pink hemline embellished with golden embroidery. “That is so mine!” I gushed. Without any second thought, I ran into the shop and asked the sales lady where the dress was kept. She looked around and fearfully said, “I’m sorry ma’am, but someone just took the last piece into the dressing room.” My heart sank. I ran toward the dressing room and saw the young girl who wore that dress walk out one of the stalls. She looked down and walked towards her mother who was jumping for joy. “Oh you look so beautiful!” her mother hugged her and said. “I can’t believe you’re getting married already…” Her daughter smiled slightly. I walked into the last stall, locked myself in and sat on the little chair. To be honest, that dress looked even more beautiful on her and it made me want to cry. The girl started to sound reluctant by the way she spoke. “Maa… why do we have to do this? It’s not li-” the girl’s mother cut her off, “oh don’t you worry, my munchkin. Papa and I are even happier to see you get married!” I took careful heed of their conversation. “But maa… it’s just that I’m… I’m not ready for this...” The mother didn’t respond. “…please try to understand,” the daughter continued. “But why, beta, what is the matter? Is it something he said?” the mother started to worry. “It’s not his fault, maa! It’s not anybody’s fault! It’s just that… you got didi married when she too was eighteen and… you know what happened! I’m sorry but I’m just not ready for this.”

Photograph by Mafaz Rouf


I heard sounds of the daughter stomping her feet up to the stall next to mine. She locked herself in, changed her clothes and walked out the dressing room. I unlocked my stall door and came out feeling sorrowful for the poor mother. As I walked out, I saw the lehanga thrown on the floor. I immediately grabbed it and hugged it and jumped in excitement! I ran to the cashier, purchased the dress, and rushed back home. With all the due respect and sympathy I had for the mother and daughter, I was equally overexcited about my new dress. I wore it and it fit me perfectly! As I admired each and every angle of it in the mirror, I got a phone call from my sister. I wondered why she would call so late. “Hello?” I asked. “What is the matter?” to which she responded, “Umm… I have some depressing news. The wedding has been called off. The girl isn’t ready to get married.”

4 comments:

  1. That was a good one, keep the fire burning gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good one, keep the fire burning gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, go ahead x