YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday 12 March 2016

The Omniscient

"Yet another super dull day," I thought to myself, as I slowly made my way toward my desk, sipping a freshly brewed dark roast coffee to keep me up all night. I worked evening shift at a 3-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur as the surveillance system monitor. Obviously, it wasn't a very pleasant job. I decided to play some of my favorite tracks on my smartphone and hummed along as I aloofly observed people walk in and out the hotel on the screens from time to time.

Photograph by Hiba Aydeed

I would have summed up the night as any other mundane night, if it wasn’t for the teenage girl who came along. She was clothed in bright colors - a red tank top with a black full-sleeved inner, blue leggings, green socks and well, turquoise flip-flops! I don’t know what she was thinking when she was dressing up, but she had definitely caught my attention. I mean, c’mon, she was a human rainbow and I would have to be blind to not notice her! I could tell she was a Muslim because she wore a hijab which, by the way, was brown in color. I continued to focus on where she was headed as she walked into the elevator and stood modestly - facing downwards - until the two other men got off at their floor. Just as the elevator door shut, she started dancing and whipping her "hijab" back and forth like absolutely nobody could have possibly been watching. (I knew she was crazy!) She stopped only to pout for a selfie on her phone and as she was filtering it on Instagram, I could tell by the sudden change in her expression, that she’d noticed the board behind her that says, "You are under surveillance!" Her eyes had popped out and her cheeks turned red. She walked out the elevator with a face of embarrassment.

Every time I think about her, I laugh hysterically. It was not only a humorous experience I had encountered at work, but also one that taught me a lesson: Even if you are alone, someone up there is definitely watching over you.

1 comment:

Don't be shy, go ahead x